Small Canvas Quote

This post was originally found on Artistcellar's blog. 
You can find the original post there.

Remember the delicious backgrounds I made when I was experimenting with Mineral paper? If not please check it out here.  These canvases have been waiting patiently for the next step in their journey and this week I grabbed one, painted the edges black and got started.



Using various colors of Dina Wakley's yummy paints and the Marked series of stencils I created layer after layer on top of my original background. Doesn't this look divine? The transparency of the paint really makes the layering process fun and surprising.



I decided that I wanted the focal point to be an inspirational quote so I picked on of my favorites and used Photoshop to type it out and reverse it before I printed it using my laser printer.



After tearing it out I placed on my nonstick craft sheet and brushed a layer of gel medium on top (like I was buttering toast) and let it dry. Yep, I am making an image transfer!



After the gel medium dried I peeled it off my craft sheet, soaked it in water and began to gently peel the white paper off. Gel medium image transfers are cooooool.



While I was waiting for the gel medium to dry I painted a swatch of white on the canvas where I wanted my quote to go. By the time my image transfer was ready so was my canvas. I gently tore the edges of the image transfer down so it would fit within the white swatch and then, using gel medium, I glued the quote onto the canvas.



As a final detail, I used the X stencil from the Marked series to paint the edges of the the canvas.



I really like the final product and I am picking out quotes for the other small canvases. I hope you all will try this quick and easy technique to add text or designs to your art. Many thanks to my oldest daughter for being my hand model!

No comments:

Post a Comment