Artist Appreciation

I was recently asked what artists have inspired me. That is such a big question for me. I am a bit of a collector and I take inspiration from many different time periods and genres. During my college art history classes I found inspiration in ancient Egyptian art, in Greek and Roman sculpture, in Medieval Art and Cathedrals, the Renaissance, in Dutch Golden Age paintings, Impressionism, Art Nouveau. My mind was a sponge for the history behind the artists contained within these movements as well as their creations.

This is not to say there is not art I do not enjoy. Surrealism. Surrealism is one that does not inspire me. Sorry Salvador Dali but I just don't get it. ;)

With all that said...


If I have to name just one then it is Vincent Van Gogh. Hands down. Yes, yes it may seem like a boring and typical answer but at the heart of my style is an appreciation for texture. When I look at Van Gogh's paintings I can live and breathe in that texture. His texture tells a story, it is verbal and moving whether it is a portrait, landscape or still life.


I know that one day I will see a Van Gogh in real life and I pity the people next to me for the tears, they will be aflowin'. 


Another artist that has inspired me recently is Patience Brewster. Her illustrations are whimsical and delightful. They inspire me to find and create my own whimsy. Just check out how her drawings are translated to Christmas Ornaments! These contemporary artists show me just how versatile and accessible art can be and forms it can take to bring joy to people's homes.

So, in honor of the start of a new school year, what artists inspire you?

No comments:

Post a Comment